make new pillowcases! No, really. Both my bed and the guest bed need new pillowcases. And seeing as to how the sheets are linen, it only makes sense to make the pillowcases in linen also.
So I have this Morris chair. I got it from my mom. Who got it from an antique store in Mt. Vernon IA. She bought it after I saw it first and squealed something along the lines of, ” OOOOOoooooooooo! MORRIS CHAIR! I’ve always wanted one of those!” So she buys it. For herself. : / Whatever. She pays me to re-cover it. Okay. I can do that! It was a trickier recover than anything I have done at that point, but not hard to figure out. The seat has springs in it, which was something I had never dealt with. But it was all good. Mom had picked a sort of floral design that makes one think of a paisley, without it being a paisley. In a whole slew of burnt orange and rust colors. Totally her color scheme. This was all maybe 15 years ago? Yeah, sure, that sounds about right. Few years after I recover it, she asks me if I want it, because she’s just not feelin’ it. Um, wait. Let me think about this for a bit….. YES. The rust colors totally clash with everything in my living room. My whole house really. But I leave it as is because I just don’t get around to re-covering it.
Fast forward about 10 years. I have moved into a townhouse and the Morris chair is clashing more than ever! Added plus? The seat now has a hole worn through. That gets larger every time a butt gets parked in it. This is so not a nice looking chair anymore. It looks like ass quite frankly. Sadly, I took no pictures. I wish I had. So I decide it is now time to re-cover it. And soon. The hole is now most of the seat. I almost forgot. The seat cushion had been leaking some kind of wood shaving kind of material out of it’s bottom for almost a year. This was due to a hole in the fabric covering the underside of the seat cushion. We fixed it, then the hole returned. I was getting tired of cleaning up a little pile of wood shavings under the chair every couple of weeks or so.
I was trying to do this on the super-cheap, seeing as to how I have no real surplus funds in my budget. Long story short, I have this huge bit of super-cheap foam from a super cheap futon. And the feather/down wraps to cushions from my loveseat. I was thinking I could somehow make all of this work into a better version of the Morris chair cushions.
The underside of the seat cushion. In all of it’s glory! That wood shaving-looking stuff under the springs is what was leaking out all over the floor. There was a piece of fabric covering this. Next step? Remove all of the old nails. This was fun. Fortunately, at some point when browsing an uphulstory supply catalog, I had purchased something called a staple lifter. At least that’s what I think it was called. It proved to be remarkably helpful.
This is my favorite. The foam from my loveseat cushions was thicker than I wanted. So I needed to cut. Lengthwise. Yeah, that’s right. I used a 12″ chef knife for that. I had to stop and sharpen it every 2 minutes or so. The plan? Put this foam under the batting then recover the whole thing.
This is the feather/down thing from my loveseat cushions. This was wrapped around the foam making for a very plush, cushie, tushie, cushion. ( see what I did there? Alliteration! Rhyming! ) Would a new version of this been a better choice? Oh heck’s yeah. But remember, I was doing this with what I had. I bought this loveseat in 2000 or 2001. It had a good run.
I almost forgot. I also needed to add more height to the back cushion. Being mostly cotton batting, and being vertical, it had compacted and shrunk a bit over the years. Here we see the old cushion, wrapped with the feather/down thing. Now I just had to slip stitch the whole thing so that I could get a slipcover over it.
This was super fun. Creating the extra height. Egads. That was truly a sewing adventure. Notice the giant stitches. I know, super pretty, right? The goal here was not so much pretty, as holding everything in place so that I could get the slipcover over it.
And here we have the chair complete with new slipcovers! The back cushion cover has a zipper on it and is completely removable. The seat one, nope. Shoot, now that I am thinking about it though, I think I could have figured out a way to make it removable. Next time. I did have some fabric protector. Which pretty much sprayed the hell outta the fabric with before making the cover. We will see how well that holds up.
FOR FREEEEEEE! I am mostly posting this here because I can not, for the life of me, figure out how to put it up on Ravelry. Seriously. So I figured hell, I’ve got a blog, I’ll just put it here. Enjoy! MrsC_BettiesBell_v3-1 See below for more pictures and me getting all technical and junk. I just wanted to give you the link up here so you don’t have to read my babble unless you want to.
I wanted a hat. That would cover my ears. And be cute. Sorta girly, but not too girly. With my super-short hair, I find a cloche to be a very good look for me. And it totally has that whole covering-your-ears thing nailed.
I made mine to fit a 22″ head. But this might be easily adaptable. You start with knitting the horizontal band. You knit that to fit your head. Or the head of the intended recipient. Seam the short ends of said band together, then pick up stitches along one edge of the band. So if you have a larger head, just ignore the number of stitches I picked up and pick up more. I picked up one stitch for each stitch along the edge of the band. Then I just knit stockinette until decrease time, did decreases, and BAM! Fancy-pants-new-lady-hat!